Alright, here are all my disclaimers up front.
A long time ago, I used to write on xanga. Remember that? I mean, not me on xanga, but the platform? Since then, people moved on to facebook, then twitter, etc. Somewhere between all of that, and not hopping on the wordpress/blog wagon because I didn’t understand it - I just stopped writing all-together and I miss it. A lot. Especially since I’m not writing songs as much anymore, I need an outlet - so this will be it!
As I explain in Part 1, I am starting this blog because I want it to be a collection of me chronicling things I like. Things I am a fan of. But to be honest, I want it to be more than that. I want it to be a place where I can connect with friends (and new friends) about the things we are passionate about. As much as I want to share what I’m passionate about, I want to learn from you the reader as well!
Here's what I'll be doing:
STEAL LIKE AN ARTIST
I'm not an avid blog reader, but over the years, there are a few people's blogs & websites that have really caught my attention. Unlike most blog readers, I don't subscribe to RSS feeds, but I bookmark the ones I plan on coming back to check out every once in a while. What I resonate with the most in all of these blogs/websites are the following:
- "Trade Secrets" (not personal secrets, but techniques/insight that help someone be good at what they do)
- Succinctness (although I'm not sure I'll be great at this 😬)
- Aesthetically Pleasing
I have several specific inspirations I'm going to draw from, (some people call this "copying" or "stealing [like an artist]) - but instead of listing them here, I'll BLOG about them, so stay tuned. I like giving credit where it's due!
- I hate email with a passion. Often I am terrible at responding to them, and by often I mean always. (I am slowly headed down that path with text messaging as well). But one thing I noticed is that there is a specific type of email I’ll always reply to with a lot of TLC (but sometimes it takes me months to reply because I care TOO much). And these emails fall into the category of people asking for advice. To narrow it down further, the question I've gotten more often than any other is “what kind of guitar should I get?”. 2nd most frequent used to be budding musicians needing career advice (but I don’t get those as often these days). Since I love writing those emails so much, I thought - why don’t I just blog about it?
- Related to “advice”, from time to time I get asked about or get paid a complement on my sense of fashion which I honestly feel very flattered by - because while I don’t think I do anything stylistically special or out of the norm, I do care about it, and at times have a lot to say about it.
- Lastly - once I was playing “The Voting Game” with my friends, and I got voted “The person who would give the best life advice”. I was experiencing all the feels until one of these friends blurted out “That means you old, son!”. Whatever! 😂 I’ll still take it. It meant a lot.
All to say, in this blog I might sprinkle in some of that “advice” I’ve given to people.
Over time, I imagine I’ll start to re-develop a sense of style in my writing, and find my voice when it comes to blogging. For now though, I don’t want to concern myself with that - I just want to write, and maybe over time I’ll inadvertently find what my “focus” is. Spoken like a true Enneagram 3, huh? Ready, FIRE, aim!
Hope you stick around and we can have some good conversations!